August 05, 2013

Tropical Banana Bread

While grocery shopping I like to hit up the discount section in the back of the store. In some store there is also a produce area that has discounted fruits and vegetables. I lucked out one day, and found about 6 bunches of very ripe organic bananas for 50 percent of per pound. I am sucker for a good deal on things we use, so naturally I snatched them all up. 

Freezing is a great way to keep bananas that are on there last leg. I usually peel and cut up about 3-4 per freezer bag or vacuum seal bag. We like to use them for a frozen ice cream alternative (link below) or in a banana bread. Bored with my regular banana bread recipes and with a new, but slightly dented can of pineapple from the discount section, I made an alteration then made what I like to call a Tropic Banana Bread.

Left -  Tropical banana bread . Right - Original banana bread.


Tropical Banana Bread
   2 C Flour (1 C White, 1 C Whole Wheat)
1/2 C Butter (Soften)
1/2 C Brown Sugar 
   1 C Bananas Mashed
3/4 C Pineapple (Crushed and drained)
1/2 C Coconut (Shredded)
   2 Eggs (Beaten)
   1 t Baking Soda
1/4 t Salt

Sift flours, soda and salt together then set aside. Cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Once combine, add fruit and stir in flour mixture.

Pour into 9 X 5 loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done in the middle. Let cool for 5 minutes in pan then remove and finish cooling on wire rack.



Here is a link for my version of a non-dairy ice cream alternative:



~Connect with me ~ 


Facebook : Chee Chee and Company


Youtube : HandmadebyKristen

Twitter: Handmadebykris

No comments:

Post a Comment