November 20, 2011

Chicken Soup and Pastrami Grilled Cheese

Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my all time favorites. Gooey cheese between two pieces of toasted bread, yum. As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate the melt. If you do not know to what I am referring think bread, mustard, cheese, meat, cheese, mustard bread. The goodness of a grilled cheese but with the flavor and substance of sliced meat and a spread. I love Ruben sandwiches minus the sauerkraut so I tweaked it so now it is just a really tasty melt. 


 Pastrami Grilled Cheese -
2 slices of the bread of your choice
Sliced Pastrami (2-4 pieces depending on the thickness of the cut)
2 Slices of cheese (Swiss or Provolone are best)
Mustard (Dijon is best)
Butter





Preheat a medium size frying pan on medium / high, spread the outsides of the bread with butter, in insides spread the mustard. Lay slices of meat in frying pan until warm, may start to brown. lay on of the bread slices in the pan butter side down then place slice of cheese on top followed by the meat, the other slice of cheese and the second slice of bread. Once bottom bread is toasted flip sandwich. Once cheese is melted and bread is toasted nicely serve.


I do recommend a nice soup to go with that awesome sandwich you now have...which leads me to my next topic. Chicken soup. “I have never made chicken noodle soup before..." I thought to myself when trying to figure out what to make with all of the half used boxes of pasta. "I have chicken and I have the trinity at my disposal, why not?" The "trinity" I speak of is "the basics for any good cook" thinking back to my grandmother's words; carrots, onion and celery.

Having chicken, noodles and my veggie trinity the only thing I was missing was the stock. I just so happen to buy some during my last shopping trip because it was on sale AND I had a coupon. Score one for Kristen!

So anyway with having everything I needed I then began to add stuff to the pot and about an hour later...soup! After dinner I then realize I made enough for two whole meals so the other half of the pot froze nicely for a night when I don't want to cook anything. give  it a whirl and let me know what you think.


Chicken Noodle Soup -
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts ( cut into bite size pieces)
  6 C Chicken broth
4-6 Large carrots , peeled and slices in rounds
4-6 Celery stocks, sliced in horse shoe
1/2 Large onion
2-4 C Uncooked pasta




One of the best parts about soup is you can put as little or as much of whatever you want and it won't mess it up. Use as many or little veggies, noodles or chicken. Start by heating up broth in a Crockpot or large stock pot with lid on med/high heat. Add your onion and raw chicken pieces. You can also add salt and pepper to taste, just beware of the salt content in your broth if using a premade kind. Once meat is cooked add your vegetables and noodles.

Let site with lid on for about another 10-15 minutes. Then serve it up!

Like what you see? Want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment