November 17, 2011

Gimme beef....and beer


Cold weather and warm food have always gone hand in hand for me. It is like something turns on inside of me once the temperature out side goes below 45 degrees to make warm stick-to- your-bones food. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and to me pot pie is staple! I usually make chicken pot pie but today I decided to use beef and at my husbands delight... beer!
Last St.
Patrick’s day I made Sheppard’s Pie for the first time which included a dark Guinness. I am not a huge fan of beer aside from using it for pong but, I admit it gave it a nice rich flavor so I decided to try it with this too. Seeing as how the general idea is not much different, basically swapping the potatoes for pie crust, I figured I couldn’t go wrong. Check it out and see what you think!


Pie Crust

1/2 C Butter                              Sift flour, salt and sugar over the
1/2 C Shortening                        shortening. Cut in butter until mixture
   2 C Flour                                is crumbly. Add water a teaspoon at
3/4  t Salt                                  a time. Divide in half and roll out each
   1  t Sugar                               section. place one in bottom of greased
   5  t Ice water                          dish or pie pan. Then add filling.


Filling

   1 lb Ground beef ( Browned)
   2 C Veggies (Peas and Carrots work great)
1/2 C Minced Onion
   2 C Brown gravy (Use 1C med/dark beer inplace of liquid)
           -or-
   2 Gravy packets (using beer for liquid)
Spices to taste


Once you gravy is made and your meat browned add your veggies and onion. You can use frozen vegetables, no need to thaw, just rinse off any ice. Pour filling into the dish with your pie shell in it. at second crust for top and cut vents.

Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 miniutes or until your crust is done and serve.

***You can always substitue ground beef for ground turkey or seitan***

Like what you see? Want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment