July 18, 2013

Cherry Pineapple Marmalade

This last week my wonderful husband surprised my with about 40 pounds of cherries he picked from a friend's property. I was planning on not doing anything aside from simply eating cherries this year to help cost costs so this was exciting and a little overwhelming all at the same time. I usually try to plan out what I am going to preserve for our food storage for the year to come at least a few weeks in advance. So after I got a stomach ache from eating too many, I decided I better figure out what we will do with the other 39 pounds.

I started by looking through my trusty Ball canning book circa 1966. It has some great recipes that are hard to find and tips for canning. I came across some cherry preserves and marmalade so I thought I would give it a try. Check out the video below on how to can Cherry Pineapple Marmalade.




For this recipe you will need:
2 C Cherries (I used 1 C Bing and 1 C Rainier)
2 C Crushed Pineapple
2 C Evaporated Cane Sugar

Measure out your sugar and set aside.

Pit and crush cherries into small pieces. (I used a food processor to pulse a few time)

Strain most of the juice from your pineapple and cherries.

In large pot, stir sugar into fruit then bring to a boil. 

Once your fruit has reached the boiling point time for 10 minutes.

Pour into hot jars, top with lids and rings then process for 10 minutes.

This recipe yields approximately five half pints. The Ball book stated that it would yield three half pints so I was a little surprised when it filled more. Next time I think I will try to get more juice out of the fruit before cooking to see if that makes a difference in the yield. Also measure the fruit when it is whole to see what difference that will make. Please let me know if you try this recipe and what you think! 
Thank you for reading and watching!

~Connect with me ~ 


Facebook : Chee Chee and Company


Youtube : HandmadebyKristen

Twitter: Handmadebykris



No comments:

Post a Comment