December 06, 2011

Chicken Parmesan and Whole Wheat Pasta with Squash

Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite Italian dishes, I realized I have never made it before and was dumbstruck as to why it took me so long to try it out. A lot if recipes I was seeing called for flour or bread crumbs but I wanted to try something different. So this recipe is a Kristen original! Since every well balanced meal needs something from the garden I am serving Acorn Squash courtesy of my husband's aunt’s garden. I also opted for a light green salad with the veggies we just got from our farm fresh delivery service. Which I LOVE by the way. Local, organic and delivered… can’t go wrong.
Acorn Squash

Wash one squash outside thoroughly. Cut in half and scoop out seeds. In baking dish add ½ inch of water. Place squash cut side down. Bake at 400 Degrees for 40 minutes.

You can add butter, cinnamon, brown sugar or other spices before eating. While this is cooking you can prepare the chicken to be baked.


Chicken Parmesan with Whole Grain Pasta

       Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    ¼   C Olive Oil for Frying and 2 Tablespoons for the baking dish
2 - 3  C Marinara Sauce or Pasta Sauce





Cut chicken in half and trim off any fat. Cover with plastic wrap or place in large plastic bag then pound so it becomes an evenly thick piece. You can use a rolling pin or a bacon press if you do not have a mallet. Set aside on parchment paper.

In baking dish add 2 T Olive Oil and Marinara Sauce, you may want to save some for the top of the chicken. Set dish aside.


Prepare your dredging station with the following:
Station one –
½ C flour

Station two –
3     Eggs beaten
1 T Milk

Station three –
1 ½ C Panko
1/3 C Parmesan Cheese
1 ½ T Italian Seasoning (you can make your own with Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil)
1 t Black Pepper
1T Salt


In large frying pan add ¼ C olive oil and the warm on med-high heat. Once oil is ready coat chicken in flour, then egg, then panko mixture. Let chicken brown then place in baking dish.
 


Lay slice of cheese over each piece of chicken.

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees then serve over pasta.



I was so please with how this turned out, I will definitely be making this more often! Give it a try and let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Like what you see? Want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment