December 20, 2011

Christmas Cookies

Christmas is one of my favorite times of year, not really weather wise because we get more rain than snow, but because of the lights and decorations, time spent with family and friends, and most importantly a time for remembrance. With each holiday get together the one thing that is consistent no matter where you are is food.
This is the first of two holiday food blogs : Cookies

I have a couple recipes that I make year after year. One of them only make once a year much to my husband's disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I love it but it just has so much butter in it I have a hard time justifying it more than once a year. But never the less this is one recipe I plan to make every year as long as I can. It is tradition and a recipe I want to pass onto my kids.



Shortbread - Courtesy of my Grandmother
2 C Butter soften ( Yes one pound!)
1 C Powder Sugar
1/2 C Corn Starch
3 C Flour
1 t Vanilla



Mix all ingredients together on a low speed or by hand then roll into balls about the size of a golf ball, you can also you a mini scoop if you have one. The dough will be pretty smooth and soft. If it is hard to work with just pop it into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. You can also make it the day before and just refrigerate until you are ready to use.
I like to press down with a fork so they cook more evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 325 degrees. The color will not change much when baking so check around the edges for a little darkening. The bottoms will be a nice light golden color. You can also place candied cherries in the middle before baking for some color.


Oatmeal Raisin -
I did not have a recipe for this so I just found one in my handy everything cookbook.




Sugar Cookies - After years of trial and error I think I figured out the perfect combo of cookie and frosting for best taste.
3/4 C Sugar
10 T Softened Butter
1 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
2 T Milk
2 t Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
2 C Flour

Beat sugar, butter, baking powder and salt on high till creamy. Add milk, egg & vanilla on low until well blended. Stir in flour by hand. Divided dough in 2 halves then refrigerate for one hour.
Roll out on floured surface about 1/4-1/2 inch thick then cut out with desired cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheet or baking mat. Bake for 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees. These cookies will also be pretty light colored when done.

Frosting -
2 C Powdered Sugar
1 T Soften Butter
1/2 t Vanilla
2-4 t Milk

Like what you see? Want more?
Mix together until smooth (add in milk a teaspoon at a time). You can then separate into small bowls and add food coloring of choice.

So those are a couple of my go to cookies for the holidays. As always please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If you try them out let me know how you liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment