December 20, 2011

Mmm pie

This is the second installment of my holiday food blogs: Pie


I love making pie, it is one of my favorite things to bake. During Thanksgiving I made three different pies. All of these recipes were new to me but now I know what to do next time. My mom recently TOLD me I was making the pie for Christmas. I guess I take that as a compliment? So I thought if they were good enough to be demanded they be made then I guess it is good enough to share.


Sweet Potato - This was inspired by Paula Deen, I figure if anyone knows good sweet potato pie it should be her.


3 Large Yams (not really sweet potatoes)
1/2 C Soften Butter
1 T Vanilla
2 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 t Nutmeg
4 Eggs Beaten
3/4 C Evaporated Milk
2 - 9" pie shells (See my blog for "Gimme beef....and beer" for my recipe)




Peel and cut potatoes then boil until tender but not mushy. Puree all ingredients until smooth. Pour into pie shells then bake at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes or until done in middle.


*Hint...NEVER use canned yams/sweet potatoes, they just do not taste right*

Apple Tart  -
 I got this idea from Martha Stewart...or one of her minions, not really sure who coined the original recipe. This is an open faced dish, not so much a pie, but you could do the same thing but put into a pie dish if you are a traditionalist.

1 Sheet of Puff Pastry
2-3 Peeled and sliced apples (tart are best)
1/3 C Granulated sugar
2 T Cinnamon

1 Egg yolk mixed with 1 T water for wash on crust.

For glaze warm 2 T butter and 2 T jelly (apricot or apple is best)


Pastry will come frozen (unless you make your own of course) let sit at room temperature until pliable but not too soft. Leave folded in thirds  or you can cut and stack then roll out. If it is not perfect don't worry because you can trim then edges to be even. Score your pastry all the way around about a 1/2 inch in from the edge. On the outside half inch brush with the egg wash.

In bowl toss apples with cinnamon and sugar. Once all slices are coated evenly lay out onto inner rectangle. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon and sugar over apples. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. you will want your pastry to be golden and the apples to be tender. Drizzle or brush the jelly and butter over your tart. You can serve hot or cold, it taste grate either way.


Pumpkin Cream Pie - I thought this would be a good option instead of plain pumpkin pie. It is more the consistency of a cheese cake.

1 12oz can of pumpkin                    1/2 t Vanilla
2 Eggs                                              1/2 t Salt
3/4 C Packed light Brown sugar      1 C Heavy cream
1 t Cinnamon
1 t Pumpkin Pie spice                      1- 9" pie shell


Blend all ingredients together then pour into pie shell and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees.
Once done let cool completely in refrigerator. While it is cooling you can prepare the topping.

Dissolve 1 t gelatin in a sauce pan with 3 T water. In a bowl whip 1/4 C granulated sugar and 1 1/2 C heavy cream and add gelatin mixture. You will want it to be thick and be able to make stiff peaks.

Spread on top of cooled pie then dust with pumpkin pie spice. You may want to chill again to let completely set up. It works well to make a day ahead.

~Connect with me ~ 


Facebook : Chee Chee and Company

Youtube : HandmadebyKristen

Twitter: Handmadebykris



No comments:

Post a Comment