January 15, 2012

Green Beans and Johnny Cakes

Green bean have never really been a favorite of mine but I think I found a new way to eat them. I called my mom this evening asking if she had any bright ideas. She suggested bacon goodness. That peaked my husband's attention. So after altering how she described how to cook then just a bit I came up with the recipe below. As far as Johnny cakes you may also know them as corn cakes or Shawnee cakes. I am still learning how to make them right, below is my latest attempt. Enjoy!

Green Beans with Bacon

3-4 C Fresh green beans
   5     Strips of bacon
   4     Cloves of garlic minced
1/2 C Water
          Salt to taste

Snap stem end of green beans off. Wash then set aside. In deep sided pan cook sliced bacon. Pour out grease but leave about a teaspoon worth in the pan along with all the crunchy bits. Set bacon aside. turn heat to medium low then add your garlic and green beans. Toss around in pan until they are coated. Add water then cover for about 5 minutes or until most of the water is gone. This will steam the green beans. You can add salt if you so desire.  Toss in bacon then serve.

Johnny Cakes

   1 C Corn Meal
1/2 C Flour
   1     Egg
1/2 C Milk
   1 T Sugar

Mix all ingredients together, batter will be thick. In cast iron pan heat shortening on med high heat. when shortening is completely melted pour batter in pan. When edges start to crisp and turn golden flip over.

I brushed the cakes with butter and honey before serving. Hope you try these recipes!



No comments:

Post a Comment