January 10, 2012

It's my little friend Quiche

 While make quiche all I could think about was the B52s and the song Quiche Lorraine hence the title of today's blog. If you have been following my blogs you can probably guess that baking is where my strength lies. I have been noticing a pattern of meals that are baked not cooked. So here is another one to add to the pile.

Quiche is full of protein and vitamins and warms my soul. By definition it is a savory pie like dish. Usually consisting of the basic egg and cheese combo. There are many variation of this dish and it is completely customizable to your own tastes. I made two different quiches, one using spinach the other broccoli. My family knows how I feel about broccoli and spinach, they are my favorite vegetables! From a young age I loved spinach and broccoli. My mom loves to tell me stories on how I would ask for it and she would even put the spinach water from her cooking it into a bottle and I would guzzle it down. But enough about my love for dark leafy greens.


Spinach Quiche


Quiche
1  9" Pie crust  ( See my blog 'Gimme Beef....and Beer' for the recipe)
4 Eggs
1 1/2 C Milk
2 T Butter
2 C Spinach / Broccoli ( Chop into small bite size pieces)
2 C Cheese
3 Cloves of garlic (opt.)
1/2 C Mince onion (opt.)
Salt and pepper to taste
Broccoli Quiche



Whisk together eggs, milk, butter and seasonings. Fold in cheese, vegetables and any other filling you like. Scoop into pie shell then pour the liquid over the top. This helps disperse the contents evenly. You can top with cheese or some cooked bacon.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

I have found that if you cook your pie shell first it will ensure that it gets done all the way. Also be sure  not to overfill your pie dish, it will take a very longtime for the quiche to get done in the middle. You are better off dividing it into two.

As with any my dishes I encourage you to try it for yourself and make changes to your liking!

Like what you see? Want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment