October 22, 2012

Mending clothes

Cutting costs does not have to be hard. Mending clothes is not always enjoyable, however it is necessary. Something as basic as mending holes, rip, tears and lost seems is a simple way to start. You don't even need to have a sewing machine. Most of the time if you keep up with mending regularly you can stop any problems before they get too big, so a needle and thread is all that is needed.

My husband is an tradesman and constantly comes homes with all sorts of damage to his clothes. I have been trying to make it a habit to inspect his clothing as I fold laundry. As soon as I see a problem I set it aside.  About every other month I go through the pile of clothes to be mended. I think a good gauge is the height of my sewing machine. Once the stack is level with the machine I get to work.

From my experience I have found that sometimes and iron on patch works better then just sewing an area shut. I like to go over the patch with the sewing machine if I can for extra stability. I enjoy using a machine to speed up this process but every now and then I feel that I can work more detailed by hand. Do you repair your own clothes? What methods do you like best? Let me know in the comments!


 
Thanks for reading!
~Connect with me ~

Twitter: HandMadebyKris

Facebook : Chee Chee and Company

No comments:

Post a Comment