October 05, 2012

Pepper Meatloaf with Blackberry Topping

It is true, I am on a meatloaf kick. I don't know if it is just the colder weather approaching or what but I have really taken an interest in meatloaf of all things. I see it as reinventing the wheel.

Recently I have been trying new toppings. If you are not familiar with a basic meatloaf it is ground meat with some seasonings, a few vegetables for flavor and then topped with ketchup or a tomato based spread. The funny thing is that I have never really liked meatloaf that much. I always go for the well done end piece and end up adding steak sauce or smothering in mashed potatoes. Don't get me wrong, I do really like that once in a blue moon. However it is... well, boring.

I recently tried a meatloaf make over with ground turkey and spiced peach jam. Check out that blog Fall Meatloaf. It turned out much better then expected. My husband even said it was one of the best things I have ever made. I am not sure about that, but I accepted the compliment none the less. Now that I have found a recipe that works well for our family, I wanted to keep trying different combinations for some variety.
So below is my second installment of the meatloaf make over.

Pepper Meatloaf with Blackberry Topping
1 1/4 lbs Ground turkey
        1 C Diced bell pepper
     3/4 C Apple sauce
        1 C Old fashion oatmeal
     1/2 C Minced onion
     1/4 C Parmesan Cheese (Shredded)
        1  Egg
        2 t Smoked paprika
        2 t Seasoning salt
        Salt and pepper

   1/2 C Seedless blackberry jam (for topping)

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Divide mixture in to two loaf pans, or four mini loaves.

Bake at  degrees for 30 minutes.
***Each loaf should be at least 170 degrees in the thickest part***

Spread jam evenly on each loaf then place back in oven for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven then let rest for five minutes.

Once completely cooled you can freeze for a quick meal another day.


Here is a link to the Blackberry Blog if you are interested.


 ~Connect with me ~ 
Twitter: CheeCheeAndCo
Facebook : Chee Chee and Company


No comments:

Post a Comment